In honor of National Homemade Cookies Day, here’s a spin on classic chocolate chip cookies that are sure to get two thumbs up.
“The bacon chocolate chip cookie recipe is one of the best twists on a classic recipe, adding salty to sweet,” says Jesse Denes, VP at Schaller & Weber, a German butcher established on New York City’s Upper East Side in 1937.
Denese is a fan of using the company’s double smoked uncured bacon in the recipe, since it’s fully cooked and sold in slabs.
“It takes no extra cooking and allows you to cut pieces to a size of your liking that will hold up during the baking process,” Denes added.
Whatever kind of bacon you use, be sure you’ve got enough to double the recipe — yes, these are that good.
3-INGREDIENT SAUSAGE DIP IS THE EASY, DELICIOUS APP YOU NEVER KNEW YOU NEEDED
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies created by Nina Fraizer Hansen for Schaller & Weber
Makes 16-20 cookies
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
German butcher in NYC Schaller & Weber shared this fun spin on classic chocolate chip cookies.
(Schaller & Weber)
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup rendered bacon fat
- ¾ cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cooked, diced bacon lardons
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut ½-pound bacon into lardons, and if necessary, cook on low heat until golden brown.
- Set aside ¼-cup rendered bacon fat and place in freezer to solidify or use rendered bacon fat that you have on hand.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream butter and bacon fat together until smooth, adding sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla.
- Cut bacon lardons into smaller pieces, add the bacon pieces and chocolate chips and integrate into the dough.
- Scoop dough into 1.5-inch balls and place on parchment paper lined bacon sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cookies are golden brown.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER
Perri Ormont Blumberg is a contributing Lifestyle Reporter for Fox News.